Friday, September 2, 2011

"The Persistence of Memory" (a painting by Salvador Dali)

If you have ever seen Dali's painting, "The Persistence of Memory", you remember those melting clocks.  I was thinking about that painting as I have been trying to help my stepdad get back into the habit of looking at his watch and telling time.

I had been praying for wisdom in helping Dad who has been afflicted with dementia.  He is a very wonderful person whose character and good nature are right there, more than ever, in spite of this affliction.  He is what is known as a good egg.  I help my Mom by taking turns with her in watching Dad so that she can get her sleep.  

I prayed last Wednesday night (August 24th) after Mom and Dad had gone to bed, hoping to find some inspiring story online about someone battling dementia. 

I found "What if there was a cure for Alzheimer's and no one knew?" by Dr. Mary Newport

Dr. Newport's husband, Steve, was afflicted with dementia due to early onset Alzheimer's.  Dr. Newport had been doing everything she could think of to help him and in the course of her own research, learned about medium chain triglycerides and how they can help the brain.  She then found that non-hydrogenated coconut oil was an excellent source of MCT's.  She then began giving her husband coconut oil; for starters, she stirred two tablespoons into his morning oatmeal.  This was back in 2008 (her husband had been battling early onset Alzheimer's for about four years).  Since Steve Newport began taking coconut oil, he has gotten better and even an MRI showed that the atrophy of the brain had been arrested.  You can read more details, including the amounts she now gives him on her blog:

coconutketones.blogspot.com

You will see on Dr. Newport's blog the three clocks that Steve drew during those days when she first found out about coconut oil.  The third clock reflects a very dramatic improvement.

Also, through Dr. Newport's blog, I found out about other people who have been helped by coconut oil, through their videos on youtube.com.  It has lifted "brain fog".

Ian Blair Hamilton and his wife, Cassie.  He was experiencing symptoms of dementia and especially concerned because his father had been afflicted with Alzheimer's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMw3d3ohx_s

Bruce Flett who developed dementia after a bout with endocarditis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaAyzhumM4

So, Mom and I have started to give coconut oil to Dad; for starters, two tablespoons in his morning oatmeal and two tablespoons in whatever he is having for dinner.  It is really great; has no discernible flavor.  However, I also saw on Dr. Newport's blog that coconut milk with diet orange soda is another good way to get your MCT.  This week when I was in Trader Joe's in Palm Desert, I saw that they sell coconut milk in cartons, both unsweetened and vanilla flavored.

On Thursday, August 25th (the day after reading about the coconut oil), I went to Wal-Mart and bought four jars of Spectrum non-hydrogenated coconut oil.  I kept the receipt so that I can remember when we started this.  After I gave Dad the first round, I asked him to draw a clock for me, for future reference.  Mom said I was not very scientific about it.  It wasn't like the test dementia patients are given, where they are asked to draw a clock from memory. I drew a clock first, put in all the numbers and the hour and minute hands.  I then asked Dad to draw a circle, then put in 3, 6, 9 and 12 and then all the numbers in between those.  Then he drew the hands.  I think I will scan it and put it on here in my next post.  Anyway, I am not following the procedure of a test but I am going to use the clocks that he will draw to see if they reflect improvement, not only in the end result but by whether I have to tell him very much.  Perhaps he can ultimately just look at the clock I drew and then do the same and ultimately, draw it from memory. 

It is to build his confidence, just as we have been doing with his telling time again with his wristwatch. Back at Christmas time, I asked Mom if we could get Dad a plain watch without all the gadgets.  We went to JC Penney in Palm Desert and looked at all the watches, we went through various watches, showing them to Dad and asking him the time.  Then I found what I thought was a perfect one:  Timex, white background, Arabic numerals in black, nice and clear:  "Ten minutes to six", he said and he was right; so, we got that one.

If Dad even cares about wanting to know what time it is, we consider that a mustard seed of hope which we can grow.  It is wonderful to have this additional hope, so unexpectedly; thank you, dear God.

No comments:

Post a Comment